Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Versailles of our time

My curiosity is to unpack the modern societal definition of beauty and it's impact upon individuals; to fully understand it requires understanding where it came from. Enter, fashion history. 

I am specifically interested in understanding how our definition and perception of beauty impact our reality, and ultimately, our mental health. I believe that education can shift our perspective, and when we shift our perspective, we can change our reality; we can change our life. 

My reality when I was caught in the eating disorder was one that mirrored the court of Versailles; straining to fit and conforming to the whims of the monarchy of our time. I moved according to the direction of the trends and felt like an imposter waiting to be found out and exiled from court. This state of fear was homeostasis for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment