Saturday, April 3, 2010

The unoriginal

I have heard it stated that there is no such thing as an original idea. Whatever someone comes up with is a result of something that has already been done before.

For some crazy reason, I thought that my ideas about the fashion world were unique in some way and exempt from this. I have realized, they are definitely not. This was, initially, disappointing. I have not pioneered a new thought. I have not come up with an original idea. But I found peace in realizing that there is a community of individuals who also feel as I do about the fashion industry—anarchy is already occurring...

This is so very exciting! These people are the ones who I can look to and analyze as I begin to develop a framework for the exhibit.
----
On Thursday night I went to the SAM. I was exploring the exhibits and researching the spaces and how they are used to reveal, share and teach an audience. It was interesting to see how exhibit designers and curators used the physical space to tell a story about the artist. This is what I need to work on, developing the outline for my story so that I can begin to create.

But what is the story I am trying to tell...

2 comments:

  1. Even though "no idea" is original, everyone reacts differently to them. Two artists might photograph the same thing, but it's never the same. That's what I always think when I see people wearing the same thing as me (haha - relating it back to fashion) - clothes never look exactly the same on different bodies with different accessories. :D

    Also, after taking the exhibit class last quarter, the biggest tip I can give you (even though you didn't ask for any tips, and you may feel this already) in designing an exhibit is definitely to have one big, cohesive idea. The more parts, areas, different activities, etc - the more convoluted your message gets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Erin. These are great thoughts. I appreciate your advice with the exhibits. Now to develop the main idea!

    ReplyDelete